Why i decided on Beowulf the greatest hero..


I picked Beowulf in spit the fact that he is the greatest hero around, he inspires me to do the best I can at all times. The fact of his personality among everything he does interest me, making me keep my head held high with all the decision I make in my life. Ever since I was a youngster learning how to read, the idea of me being a hero caught my attention of Beowulf the greatest hero. The knowledge that has been scraped in my head about Beowulf is that he is a hero just trying to do the best and be remember thru time.

For the most part, Beowulf still maintains the same values in the end as the beginning. His character does change a little only because he knew he had been defeated. Beowulf was the leader and the most respected. He was very confident in himself and in the strength he possessed. He was described as a "hero" despite the boastfulness over his abilities and victories. Facing Grendel's mother, he seemed to have the strength and endurance to win a victory. Contrary, when he faces the dragon, he is older and requires help from his men. The story quotes that he was "not man enough" to face the fight empty handed and going back on his word that he would fight with bare hands, he "lost fame and repute". It was a flaw for Beowulf to lean so much on himself and the strength he had instead of leaning on the "King of Glory". There were more important issues at hand than to worry about his fortune. At the end, I think he realized that he was wrong to place so much confidence in himself because it failed him in an important battle.

Abrams, Meyer Howard, and Stephen Jay Greenblatt. “Beowulf.” The Norton Anthology of English Literature The
Middle Ages. New York: W.W. Norton & Company. 2006. 36-100. Print.
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/07/25/beowulf460.jpg